Troubleshooting Hard Drive Fails to List in WinPE Environment
- RSS feed
- Add Date: 2013-07-03 21:46:40 Update Date:2015-07-14 23:03:32
This article applies to:
All WinPE bootable disk
WinPE (Windows Preinstallation Environment) can be regarded as a standalone operating system running separately to the primary operating system on a computer.
Usually, user can create EaseUS Todo Backup WinPE bootable disk on a disc or USB drive, and load from it to perform a system recovery process.
Due to different running environment, WinPE and primary operating system cannot share hardware driver, so, some special hard drives may disappear after WinPE bootable disk loaded, such as hardware RAID, SCSI drive.
This article tells the steps trying to make a drive available after the issue happens.
Check the hard drive with Diskpart first
Windows command Diskpart can help listing all recognised drive in WinPE environment. If the recovery involved drive is not in the list, then correct driver is required in order to make the drive functional.
However, if the drive appears in the list, and you just fail to find it in recovery process, then initializing the hard drive can make it available to our product.
Figure below shows how to use Diskpart List disk command to check the hard drives in WinPE environment.
< Screenshot for EaseUS Todo Backup 7.x, 8.x >
< Screenshot for EaseUS Todo Backup 6.x >
Method 1. Add hard drive driver
The driver can be added by clicking Device management in Tools > Driver manager in Tools section, and then choose Driver manager to find and install the prepared inf file.
The drive file version needs to be matched to the bitness of the WinPE bootable disk.
32bit WinPE bootable disk requires 32bit driver file.
64bit WinPE bootable disk requires 64bit driver file.
And click Windows command shell option in Tools section can help you determine if you have a 32bit or a 64bit bootable disk.
32bit bootable disk
64bit bootable disk
1. Drivers usually can be downloaded from the website of hardware manufacture.
2. If you get a ZIP or EXE file after download, then you have to extract it to get the inf file first.
3. Our bootable disk is based on WinPE3.0 (Win7) and WinPE4.0(Win8), but Windows 2003/2008 driver is still worth to try if the manufacture does not provide Win7/Win8 drivers.
4. If the hard drive still cannot be listed after driver installed, then you can have a try with method 2 or have a check if the hard drive connection works normally all the time, connect it with a different port and connection wire may give you a different result.
Method 2. Initialize the drive
Our product is unable to list an un-initialized drive now, so if you want to operate with a totally new hard drive which has never been used before, you have to initialize it first.
The 4 steps in following picture can help you easily creating a new partition on the drive, and initialization process will be finished at the same time during creating a partition. Then the drive will be available to our product.
Sometimes, if an internal drive is still invisible after going through all the methos above, and you have an external drive connected at the same time. Just disconnect the external drive and refresh the drive list, you may get a different result.