Due to the limitation of Microsoft, the dynamic disk is not able to be converted to basic disk directly. We recommend you to use EaseUS Partition Master, because this software could convert dynamic disk to basic directly without data loss.
Convert dynamic disk to basic disk
1. Select the dynamic disk.
2. Right click the disk and select Convert to basic disk, or select in the main menu Disk > Convert to basic disk. Then a pending operation of converting dynamic disk to basic disk will show up on the left side.
Generally, after converting the dynamic disk, all of the dynamic volumes will be converted to logic partitions except the following situations:
1. If there is not enough space for exchanging temporary data on the volume (less than 5% unused space in the volume and no adjacent unallocated space), this volume will be converted to primary partition. However, the MBR basic disk exists the limitation that there can be 4 primary partitions at most. If the number of the volumes on a disk with less than 5% unused space and no adjacent unallocated space is over 4, the conversion operation cannot be implemented.
2. If the file system of the volume is NOT FAT or NTFS, and there is no unallocated space next to the volume, it will be converted to primary partition. If the volumes which fit this situation are more than 4 volumes, the dynamic disk cannot be converted to basic disk.
- This feature can only process dynamic disk with simple and mirrored volumes. The other types of dynamic disk like spanned volume, striped volume are not supported currently.
- To convert a dynamic disk containing mirrored volumes to a basic disk, please break the mirrored volumes into a simple one before converting.
- It is forbidden to convert a GPT drive if any volume on it is labeled as "Boot" or "System" in Disk Management.
- We recommend you back up the disk before any operation!
Convert basic disk to dynamic disk
Windows Disk Management could convert basic disk to dynamic disk easily, the following video shows the exact procedure.